Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is ‘on the verge’ of sealing a move to Chelsea on deadline day with the Blues ‘hiring a private jet to bring him to London this afternoon’ after talks over a £6.5m deal that also includes Marcos Alonso
- Barcelona received a new offer from Chelsea for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- A deal for the Gabon international would see Marcos Alonso move the other way
- The Blues are understood to be on the brink of securing a deal for the striker
- Reports suggest a private jet will bring Aubameyang to London this afternoon
The Blues’ deadline day bid is said to be worth £6.5million and include out of favour left back Marcos Alonso going to the Spanish side.
It’s thought Aubameyang has agreed terms on a two-year deal and he is now preparing to fly to London to put the finishing touches to his move before the 11pm deadline.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s move to Chelsea will also see Marcos Alonso join Barcelona
Chelsea have booked a private plane to bring their new striker to London that will depart from Barcelona at 2:15pm
According to the Evening Standard, Chelsea have booked a private plane to bring their new striker to London that will depart from Barcelona at 2:15pm.
That seems to have been confirmed with flight tracking technology.
Chelsea made a £15m bid to sign Aubameyang earlier this month, but look to have come to an agreement with the Catalan giants, crucially involving Alonso as part of the deal.
Aubameyang’s move to the Blues was previously thought to have fallen through after the two sides had failed to come to an agreement, but Chelsea’s new offer would appear to be more to Barca’s liking.
Barcelona are still keen on bringing in more faces to the Camp Nou, but must generate funds before doing so, with Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva still on their perhaps ambitious wish list.
The arrival of Robert Lewandowski this summer has seen Aubameyang’s playing time reduced
Thomas Tuchel’s need for a striker was highlighted in a 2-1 loss at Southampton on Tuesday
Having only arrived at the club in January, Aubameyang has already managed 13 goals and an assist in 24 games, but is now one of several players deemed surplus to requirements.
The 33-year-old took to social media after he was reportedly assaulted by a group of four men and threatened with firearms, saying: ‘Hey guys, thanks a lot for all the messages. On Sunday night, some violent cowards broke into our home and threatened my family and my children, just to steal some stuff.
‘They injured my jaw but I will recover in no time, and thank God no one else was physically harmed.
‘The feeling that we are no longer safe in our own home is hard to understand and describe, but as a family, we will overcome this and stand stronger than ever.
‘Thanks for all the support, it really means a lot to us.’
Aubameyang sustained a small fracture to his jaw in the traumatic episode which is likely to keep him out for a number of weeks.
He could opt for surgery but has been told allowing it to heal naturally will see quicker results.
Aubameyang’s exit would certainly aid the Blaugrana in their pursuit of fresher faces – particularly if it facilitates the arrival of another of their targets in Alonso.
In six years at Stamford Bridge the Spanish international defender has won six major honours, including the Premier League, Champions League and Club World Cup, scoring 29 times and assisting 23 more in 212 games.
Marcos Alonso has enjoyed six trophy-laden years at Stamford Bridge with Chelsea